Monday, March 4, 2013

Piano

I think the last time I played the piano was at Uncle Bill's funeral.

I know he's sad about that but my heart aches. Even at Christmas, I would sit down at the piano and just stare.

I've let my kids lessons lapse.

I miss knowing he will never hear them play again.

I told my kids, with a heavy heart, that it was time to start again.

Gavin pulled out his Hanson exercises - the very same book that Uncle Bill had me run through - and played himself on a regular basis - and I just listened.

It's so GOOD to hear that in our home again.

It's so Good to have music playing - like a beautiful accompaniment to the giggling in the background.

It reminds me of home.

It fills up all the empty spaces in my heart that have ever been left by disappointment, rejection, hurt or sadness.

I've been feeling the itch lately and after 6 months, my piano and I are long overdue.

I used to play - knowing that the next time I'd see Uncle Bill, he'd ask if I'd kept up with the piano.

I think I've got some time, but I know that the next time I see him, he'll ask if I've kept up with the piano... nothing would compensate for the disappointment in his eyes if I answered anything but yes.

So, today, we start frest and make a new start... committed to making music in this home again - and to letting that music teach us to laugh, to love and to heal.

Today is for Uncle Bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment