Friday, February 15, 2013

Anti-V-Day rant

It's been a rough week around here.

I started a new fitness regime a couple of weeks ago. I'm sore, tired and cranky.

We are wrapping up the Short Course season for swim, which means utter craziness. I could bore you with details, but then I'll get tired all over again. And I'm too tired for that.

Valentine's Day Parties with toddlers and school-age kids plus a tweener who couldn't seem to care about his report on Michael Phelps, the read-a-thon or valentine's day until, oh, roughly 40 seconds before everything was due, about put me over the edge.

I've been losing it with my poor kids all week.

They have been so damn excited for the one holiday I find completely pointless. I love my kids and husband all year round. And they love me. Of those two things, I am completely sure. I'm all about love and loving other people. I'm just really sure I don't need a special day, loads of chocolate, stuffed animals and lard to express it.

So, yes, I hauled them off to target to pick out cards and candy and spent $50. It took everything I had not to spoil their fun. And then, when Aj INSISTED on doing all his valentines at 6:30 AM the next day and carrying them around in his backpack for 48 hours straight, I tried really hard not to freak out.

And THEN, when we ran out of protein bars ON valentine's day, and Aj's lunch now had to include a peanut-butter sandwich instead of said protein bars (because there was NO WAY he was taking his version of lunch...plain ritz crackers and pretzels on this sugar-filled day), a full melt-down ensued.

The day capped off with my darling diva bawling her eyes out because i couldn't help with her class party that day... i was helping with her brother's party.

Cap it off with trying to explain to 10 3-yr.- old's that the valentines they brought were to share with their friends and not all for them to keep and i'm ready for Obama to issue an Executive order cancelling the whole darn thing.

Or I'll convert to Jehovah's Witness.

Seriously, how and when did "Love Day" become as big a deal as the rest of the holidays? When I was little, it was super exciting just to get a little card that MAYBE had one or two conversation hearts in it. But now, there's pinterest.

I really hate pinterest.

It's made me feel a whole lot more inadequate in the whole creative-mom aspect of my life. Yes, I know it's all so simple even a giraffe could handle all the awesome ideas that are out there, but I just don't care enough to even look... let alone attempt it. I just don't. And I'm totally okay with that.

But I'm happy to purchase the stuff you make.

Just not for Valentine's Day.

1 comment:

  1. You know I live for holidays, but I am with you on this one. And the Costco here didn't have nugo bars so I feel Aj's pain. Life is hard. Miss you guys!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete