Thursday, September 13, 2012

Prayer for 9/11

9/11, as a mother, is a difficult discussion topic with my kids.
I was a little surprised when my 6 year-old announced at dinner that,
"Today is the day that the 2 BIG tower in New York fell down and lots of people died."
And then my boys filled in the details.
I literally sat there, open-mouthed.
I had never discussed it with them.
They just knew it, already.
 
I decided it was way past my turn to tell what I remember of that day.
...That I was pregnant with the baby that I miscarried at 12 weeks.
...That I was sick and eating crackers.
...That I as they replayed the first tower, the second tower was hit.
...The feeling of absolute horror, tears and confusion about what was happening...
and why.
 
So we talked.
We talked about the SMALL group of Muslim terrorists that was responsible for the attack.
We talked about how wrong it is to hurt, judge and condemn others for their beliefs.
We talked about the heroes, the survivors, the amazing ability America showed in it's
Hope, Love and Courage in the wake of 9/11.
 
Gavin offered our family prayer that night:
 
"Dear God,
Please forgive those people who hijacked the planes, wrecked the towers and hurt all those people.
Help us to never forget all the heroes and the good people that day who were so brave.
Heal those who were hurt.
And never forget all the people who died who should still be alive.
We're grateful to be in this country.
We're grateful to still be here, today.
Amen."
 
AMEN
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment